Graphic Design Portfolio Project 2

 I'm SO BEHIND. So we must be quick. I found a cool website and loved the concept behind it. Video Game Clubs of America "Making the Socially Awkward, Socially Active Every Day." 

Clean, simple, easy to follow. Also literally me.

Here is the design I ended up with.


I thought it would be cute to have like cubes from games work together. I started by coming up with a list of games. The first thing that came to mind was the campaign cube from Portal (the very bottom one) and the Minecraft Grass block.  My friend suggested something from Mario. I found a cardboard box from GTA, but it didn't fit. Like everything was recognizable, then you just got this box. At some point, I thought of the Horadric Cube from Diablo 2. Crash Bandicoot was in the mix, but it felt too similar to the Mario stuff. So I ended up swapping it with a Sonic prop. 

I found and messed around with the shapes in 3D. Using the same file that I used for the last project. Originally, I was gonna do a triangle form. But I like the empty space in the pillar render. As I wanted this poster to be simpler. The leading line on the triangle was also making the eyes go up, but I didn't like the message being above. (also requires so many more boxes)


I used a tri-light setup, with red light on the left and blue on the right. (the same colors used on the website)

I had a color fill for the background, but it just felt really bland. So I added a lighter color fade on the top and a crumpled paper texture.


Another issue I had was the font. I wanted something inviting, but not corporate. (not Helvetica)
I liked Proxima Nova, but as I put it in, I thought, "Dang, it's Helvetica." So I swag like the other way and felt even grosser. 


So I thought about a font that I saw for void+vinagar. Deblur. I wondered why I hadn't picked it, and then I realized the soft edges made it "soft" (I wanted V+V to be cold and uninviting). So I applied a softening of the edges on the Proxima Nova font. After that, I was pretty happy with the final results. 



Comments

Popular Posts