Song Interpretation Project
So this week I had to make an image that depicts an emotion of a song. I have quite a big range of music taste, so it took me a minute to think of a song to use. I made a list of songs and chose ones that spoke to me the loudest. I ended up with Deja Vu by Ataraxia.
The song sounds very aquatic and mysterious to me. I find that my mind bounces between fantasy and sci-fi. "There's a journey here." "Something Otherworldly" With all that in mind, I came up with this image.
I knew right off the bat I wanted to do something underwater. A sunken statue. Something magical. I remember I took photos of me in a wizard outfit and thought of working there. I remove my face to make it more mannequin-like and off-putting.
I found some stone textures and attempted to turn myself into stone. (this was the hardest part of this whole thing.) I also start looking for other images I could use for this project at this point. I also found that I struggle to make things look underwater. So I watch an aquatic documentary as a break to get a real-life comparison.
I liked how I wrapped the stone textures onto myself. I tried to make it look less like a flat layer on top. Using a mix of perspective transforms and warps. (also bonus points for manually painting the dang shadows.) We work with jank in this house.
If I were to remake this knowing what I know now. I would retake photos with a fisheye lens to make myself look massive as the scale of the statue is lost. Also match the light angle and not try to brute force it in post. Maybe make the ship a 3D model to have more control. (Honestly, I would make everything in 3D if I could lol.) Fun day in general.




I think it was a cool piece. Why didn't you go with mermaid tails.? . That would have been interesting to see. lol It brought my attention to how much detail goes into underwater projects.. Very creative.
ReplyDelete