Graphic Design Portfolio Project 1

 I was tasked with identifying the skills required for each job I examined and applying them to a previously created project. I realized I needed to focus more on the details and be more direct with some of my designs. So for this one, I wanted to visit the poster from last month to see if I could improve it. 

Firstly, lemme show what I came up with today.

The poster is meant to be motivational and depicts a 3D software. In my original poster, I just had a render of my first 3D model and tried to make it fit a poster design. The scale of my render was less than the poster itself, leaving the cup looking blurry and out of place on closer inspection. So I went on a hunt to find the original file to re-render it, not only in a bigger scale but in a more correct perspective. After a few minutes, I realized it would be easier to just remake it. I know my past self wasn't as obsessed with being a data hoarder. I wasn't sure if I got the model close to the original proportions; however, my friends couldn't tell the difference, so that gave me a green flag: I'm on the right path. I only gave myself 4 hours to create this whole thing from scratch, so I don't wanna be stuck on the first step. Here are the renders (each render is 5400x7200 compared to the original 1080p [they will be downscaled just so it can be seen on the web easily])


Viewport renders its lines at 1 pixel thick. It becomes quite hard to see it, especially when viewing from afar or downscaling it. I fix this by remaking them with the line tool, all in one group, allowing me to adjust them in one setting. ( the green[y] and red[x] are 10 pixels thick wither everything else is 8) used a mask with a gradient tool to make the gray lines fade to the horizon. I decide to do all this to make it clear that we are viewing a model in a digital tool. The original poster could be seen as something else with these details missing. I added the shadow on the floor from the cycle render to give it a little pop, and then remade the wire frame on top of the Eevee render.

Next, I wanted to work on my font choice. I have yet to take my classes on topography, but we won't let that stop us. I've been in love with "Mundial Bold" since my research on void + vinegar, but this choice for this poster doesn't quite fit. This was a major issue with me and needed to be fixed. As I was pondering, it hit me to use the font from the 3D software. Doing some research, it seemed like a close match to "DejaVu". After applying said font, I was disgusted at its spacing. 

Mainly, the "rt" in start was bugging me. I pushed the text to the far left to make it easier to read and fit the "box" I had in mind for framing the piece. But something just felt off. It felt empty. Not as in the message was empty, but there was just a lot of empty space. I tried increasing the scale of the text or adding more, but I didn't find any of these options appealing. Genuinely stumped, I looked at my past work on layout. I see the holy grail. It was simple. YES, This will be perfect. I measure the cup and create space between it and the text that's 2/3 the cup's size. Then, I adjust the text to fit within 1/3 of the cup's height. This makes the poster shorter, but more cohesive. (going from 5400x7200 to 5400x6000 [rounded and added some wiggle room to not have an odd number]) Once applied, I was so thrilled with my results.

Here's a zoomed-in version of the full-res version. Also, based on how the whole image was made up of vector lines and text [except for the cup and shadow], we can scale this up even further.



Comments

Popular Posts