Graphic Design Portfolio Project 5
This won't be the last thing I post for my portfolio, but it will be for this class. I didn't like my cowboy image from Project 3. Sometimes it happens, so I wanted to do another photo edit. I've seen many of my classmates create album covers, so let's add that to the mix as well. Keeping in mind that we need to show off my impeccable skills (I'm currently losing it), as I was getting ready to post this, I see that this project was meant to be a video. Oops.
The main impression was his portfolio website and a guide he sent me like 4 months ago. I was dipping my toes into very odd design decisions for this cover. Dream like is the vibe. Logic out the window. First, I lined up all the images on top of each other on a massive canvas. I cut John out of a few of the images and stacked him on top of each other. I loved how it made his hair look crazy wide. So I full swing into being weird and crazy.
ANYWAY, I needed to find a victim. And like prey, we got John. John is a wonderful classmate of mine from whom I steal hard drives. I begged him to send me some images, and he sent 6 of him with his guitar. With all that I present to you.
The gridlines follow that mentality as well. I ignore my usual rules of thirds or 10 30 60 rule (funny story is that I use this for position more than color, oops). Instead, I focus on getting a powerful image and trust my gut more than hard math. Normally, the subject would be just John. Roughly eye level is aligned to the top rule of thirds. No, no, no. His room has character and interesting shapes. Weirdly, I was attached to a soda can that moved in each shot. I just picture John running to the cam to hit a timer just to get a picture of himself. Each time, the camera is moved just slightly, and the soda can is kicked around.
One shot felt the most important. "The Gaze" zoomed in and cropped. Must be the main subject.
On his website, his name was Sans Sarif, and his last name was Sarif. That's all I knew, and I didn't want to ask which font he used. (I'm not a crazy font guy) So I took that one bit of knowledge I had and used the closest fonts I had in storage. Surprisingly, I landed on Impact for the name. Impact is usually seen as goofy to me. It was used on a bunch of old internet humor. But I liked the contrast it had with Dotemp. Whenever I don't want sans-serif, it's my top pick. (I also need to get more non-stock fonts)


Comments
Post a Comment