Do I know who I'm talking to?


I found 3 jobs that I would be interested in applying for. Stealing the interpretation of Diana's post and layout. (shout out to her, she's the goat.)

First Company-

United Way of Central Florida

Graphic Designer & Multimedia Specialist


Values, Goals, and Mission:

"Improves lives & strengthens our community by identifying gaps in services & providing solutions."

What I Learned from the Website:

It has a nice, clean layout. Everything makes sense, and I never felt lost exploring their page. (And I must say the design is top notch.) Very tasteful selections of color and typeface.

Insights from Reviews:

I couldn't find much information about the "graphic design & multimedia specialist" position, but overall, the company appears to be viewed in a positive light.

Social Media Presence:
Personal Connections:

I have no personal connections with this company. (I am new to Florida)

Analysis:

United Way of Central Florida has a mission-driven energy where you can tell every project is meant to actually mean something. Their whole slick is bringing people together to improve lives. Be it helping kids get an early education or addressing hunger issues head-on. All screaming “Community First,” and you get the sense they love turning good intentions into tangible results. It’s not just fluff either; they’ve got specific programs like Success By 6 and the George W. Jenkins End Hunger initiative that make their mission feel real.

On the design side, they clearly lean into storytelling. Their social media presence is active across Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. There are posts that show updates, volunteer spotlights, and campaign videos. Working here would mean taking on a mix of graphic design, photography, motion graphics, and video production, all while keeping everything consistent and on-brand. Honestly, this is most up my alley.
Second Company-

ProGen Industries LLC

Junior Graphic Designer


Values, Goals, and Mission:

"Innovative, unbiased power-generation solutions; integrity, excellence"

What I Learned from the Website:

It looks nice, but exploring is frustrating, and some tabs just don't work. For example, there's a YouTube link on the bottom right of the page, but when you click it, it takes you to wix.com or the Wix YouTube channel. (So I assume this website was made with Wix)

Insights from Reviews:

It's a mixed bag all in all. (not a bad sign but not a good one either) Also, the pool of reviews is very, very small.

Social Media Presence:
Personal Connections:

I have no personal connections with this company. (I am new to Florida again lol)

Analysis:

Progen comes across as a company that wants to appear sharp and serious, but the execution feels lacking. Their website appears to have been built about a year ago on Wix, and while it’s functional, some links don’t work. On one page, they talk about crypto as if it’s still the next big thing, which feels out of touch given how the market has shifted. The site has many pages, but instead of providing a clear sense of direction, it makes me wonder why they’re trying to do so many different things at once. They clearly have a focus on power and energy, but it’s hidden under a scattered presentation.

The videos on their website serve as a good example. You can see they’re trying to appear professional, but some of the editing seems a bit unpolished, almost like a first draft. Their social media presence is basically nonexistent, and I can imagine how that could be improved. With a consistent visual style, better video editing, and ongoing content, they could appear as a completely different company online. Currently, they appear as a “superficial hidden potential” with many parts; they just need someone to bring it all together and make it feel purposeful.
Last Company-

Florida Power & Water Works

Digital Marketer/Graphics Arts Designer/Office Manager Hybrid


Values, Goals, and Mission:

"Home repair & energy-efficiency consulting." "WE IMPROVE LIVES"

What I Learned from the Website:

Minimal and lots of dead ends. The home page is a dead end, lacking a navigation bar. It seems like a preset website with some low-res images added.

Insights from Reviews:

Non-existent. Super small company. Two reviews on Facebook. 4.4 on Google.

Social Media Presence:
Personal Connections:

I have no personal connections with this company. (I am new to Florida 3x)

Analysis:

I only even found these guys because they’re local and popped up on Craigslist. From the jump, it felt like stock photos and zero personality: the kind of thing where you wonder if there’s even a real team behind it or if someone’s nephew built the page in one afternoon. Their “approach” is essentially showcasing their work through unedited videos that feel more like insurance proof than a customer-attracting effort.

There’s no story here, no mission, no “why us” moment, just a vague “we fix stuff”. It feels like an uncle trying to run a Facebook page but doesn't know how to turn the computer on. That’s not just bad marketing; it makes me skeptical about everything they do. If this is the effort they put into their public face, what does that say about the care they put into their actual work?

And it’s not like the public disagrees; there are no reactions at all. No buzz, no comments, no shares. It’s as if they don’t exist beyond the Craigslist post I stumbled upon. I personally would avoid companies like this unless they completely rebuilt their brand from the ground up. And the postions feel very vague (I feel like i would wear a lot of hats with one pay)

Comments

Popular Posts