Choosing my stage

I need a place to put my work online. Sounds simple. Let's do a quick rundown.

Behance:

Pros:

  • Free (comes with Creative Suite)
  • Built-in community
  • No setup headaches (upload/description/publish)

Cons:

  • Limited customization
  • Not your own the platform
  • No blog stuff to elaborate on work

Wix/SquareSpace:

Pros:

  • No coding required
  • Lots of templates to get running quickly
  • Can start for free

Cons:

  • Long-term costs add up
  • Less control compared to self-hosted
  • So many walls (no advanced features)

Self-Hosted (WordPress)

Pros:

  • Complete control
  • Can scale to anything (a portfolio, blog, shop, etc.)
  • Most cost-effective

Cons:

  • Requires money upfront (domain+hosting != free ["!=" mean "is not"])
  • Setup takes time
  • Self Maintenance

My Pick

For now, I will stick with Behance. It’s free, it’s fast, and I can start posting work today instead of spending endless time messing with self-hosting (as in I've got enough on my plate). When I have the budget and time, I will self-host to have complete control without paying for features I could’ve built myself. (I don't like Wix at all.)

After reading some of my other classmates' blogs, I'm switching to Adobe Portfolio. It has more control compared to Behance.

Comments

Popular Posts