Visual Voice Exercise
Firstly, I want my thoughts on my own work to be viewed last. I have five people in various connections who have reviewed my college, one image at a time, noting down what they told me. Here is the full collection of images made from the last 5 years.
Last level
Anthony: isolated ominous abstractBraeden: lonely, bizarre
Tyler: bare, cool
Kelvin: darkness, void, end of the road, cold
Sergio: death, falling, void
Doom
Anthony: creepy, dilapidated, disaster
Braeden: unnerving, tense
Tyler: detailed, cinematic
Kelvin: eerie, unfamiliar, uneasy
Sergio: rusty, danger, abandon
Thogosts
Anthony: dreamlike, mix of nostalgia and frozen danger
Braeden: surreal, unnerving
Tyler: stylized, artistic melancholy
Kelvin: flame that's going strong in all this sadness, surrounded by it, willpower, hope
Sergio: explosion, Molotov cocktail, fire
Social V+V 2
Anthony: homely but artificial, brutalistic
Braeden: distrustful, bleak
Tyler: familiar, detailed, delicious
Kelvin: I don't like cherry pie, nothing, final meal, warmth of home before everything goes to shit
Sergio: pie, lonely, weird fork
The Company
Anthony: rainy, megalophobic, industrial, hazard vibe
Braeden: industrial, establishing shot
Tyler: cinematic, somber, industrial
Kelvin: I like this, a safe place, calm, a little eerie/spooky, rest spot
Sergio: lethal, industrial, puddles
Target Kelvin
Anthony: retro spy, punchy, propaganda
Braeden: mission, task
Tyler: retro, funny, comedic
Kelvin (the guy): awkward, eerie, poker face, blank; I hate that I'm looking at myself, an unemotional mix with smugness, uncanny.
Sergio: poster, movie, assassin
Pool Exit
Anthony: stone, old, mysterious
Braeden: surreal, cautiously inviting
Tyler: artistic, soothing
Kelvin: a creature, floating gem, communication, future race, weirdly drawn into
Sergio: demon, observer, crystal
Billows
Anthony: I'm not supposed to see this. I walked into a trauma, employee-only sign vibe.
Braeden: Very uninviting, I don't belong here
Tyler: Disturbing, strange, unsettling
Kelvin: Ohhh (sad), sad, dream filled with sadness, confusion, anger, distortion.
Sergio: The trees bleed, resentment, lonely man
Pathetic
Anthony: funny, ironic, intimidating
Braeden: A movie scene, funny
Tyler: funny, stupid, pathetic
Kelvin: *sniff*, it erks me, content smirk, I don't like him, Can't stop him
Sergio: pathetic, catface, orb
Last level- Cold
One of my early 3D renders. I ported a video game (Ultrakill) to Blender, and I was missing a lot of things. It felt uncanny, so I swung full force in that direction with this render. Normally, the sky box has a grid-like space, but seeing this thing just in the middle of this void, I don't remember much but that.
Doom- Errie
Another early 3D render. This was a year before the last render. (I think) I used to play Doom on my Game Boy and wanted to recreate the feeling I had as a kid. My imagination stopped me from passing the first level, and the bit-crushed audio did not help.
Thogosts- Sad
This was made in 2020 on Christmas. It was my first Christmas alone, and I felt sad the whole day. I thought it would be a great idea to listen to Everywhere At The End Of Time. (Yes, the whole 6 hours) I made 3 digital paintings that day, and this one was my favorite.
Social V+V 2- Fake
First project that I worked on for college. I hadn't used Photoshop for quite some time, so I made this to push myself. I wanted to make one food item stand out, and immediately thought of pie. This restaurant is all cold and indifferent about its customers. So the pie would seem fake or a facade. I got a variety of different pies and mixed them together, incorporating slight differences in perspective. With a hint of its brutal nature, the table.
The Company- Moist
For the longest time, I've been trying to recreate the look of a video game that I couldn't quite nail down for over a year. This render was the first time I was satisfied with the look. I was very proud of the water puddle shader I created for this area and wanted to showcase it in a shot that couldn't be captured in the game.
Target Kelvin- Flashy
My best friend, Kelvin, is a peculiar guy. He likes the most abstract stuff and sometimes throws me off with his game suggestions. This was made as a gift for him when I was messing around with a picture of him.
Pool Exit- Unfinished
3rd attempt at a drawing I never finished. It felt like something, but I didn't have the skill to bring the work that I wanted it to be. Still don't. More Context - I have a lot of nightmares that prevent me from sleeping. I like drawing them out and making them cute. The horn guy was the first time that I did this, and he stopped showing up in my dreams. Someone else was doing the same, but converted them into objects. I bonded with this person and drew this as a colab. (Yes, I showed it to them and they liked it)
Billows- Unwelcome
Another nightmare drawing I had. At some point, drawing my nightmares as cute things stopped working as they became more abstract and more complicated to even depict. I just remember walking down a road. The clouds were sharp and in a grid pattern, while everything else was blurry. The placement of stuff was unnatural and repetitive. And I just saw this thing staring at me, and I stopped. I couldn't see his eyes, I woke up and drew this in MSPaint. (lol)
Pathetic- Funny
It's another Evangelion meme. I've noticed that I reference it a lot. Mixed in with a Neko Ark reference. I'm the cat face person and was taunting my competitor. In whole, just a funny inside joke with a weeb joke. (hopefully not cringe)
Future me here: (after reviewing with outside view.)
I tried to pull in some people who don't normally see my work and mix them with people who do. Kelvin is my breadwinner and has heard me talk about some of these projects. So he sees it more connected to me and his description felt more personal. I really like Anthony's description in general. I tried not to laugh when he said employee sign vibe. Braeden and Sergio were straight to the point or just said the first object they looked at (which is good because that tells me where people's eyes are being drawn to). Tyler seemed to find more of the pieces funny because he knows more of the time it took to make some of them. I love that everyone had a similar view on billows.
Overall, the big word that is running is COLD/SAD/SURREAL, which I'm delighted with.
All in all, I want to be seen as an oddball. I enjoy bouncing from sad to humor a lot. I would keep going in this direction for my personal work. I love recreating things more, though, as I break down a style and try to understand why someone made that decision.
Three qualities I want to emphasize
Different viewpoints
Experimental
Surreal Humor










Comments
Post a Comment