Storyboard and Variations

 Morning y'all. I had to create a three-panel story comic that features a character, a conflict, and a solution. As I was trying to come up with a story, I bought some food to get delivered to me. I ate some, and I don't think I ever had something that gave me a negative appetite. So my story is about a guy who doesn't like his food, and getting rid of it is his solution.


I started with colors that give the emotion I wanted to give. Green for gross/disgust, Blue for disappointment/sadness, and Gray for lack of feeling/enthusiasm. Starting with looking down on the food. Looking up at the disappointed character. And a flat front view of the trash bin.

After all this, I had to make two more comics with the same concept, but one has to downplay the issue and the other one should be more dramatic.

The downplay


I swap the food for a slightly less disgusting one. The character's reaction is more casual/playful as he tries to ignore the food. And removing the motion of the last frame to make the whole scene more still and calm. I struggle to downplay comic concepts. If y'all have any ideas on how I could have done more, please let me know.

The dramatic


Harsh lighting. Looking straight down at the food. It's so bad it's not fit for our eyes. The character is contemplating his life decisions. Why was he cursed with this? How could you make something so terrible? I referenced my favorite shot from Evangelion, making the line art break down as the character (using my left hand to control the mouse). His solution of "getting rid of it" is dialed up to 11. The trash isn't enough; this food needs to be incinerated. I just realized that in this version, I never showed the character's face. I was thinking anger is the last emotion the character has, but I don't know if that comes through.

I think a drama about an issue like this should be more comedic. The whole time I'm making these, I'm just hoping for the downfall of the restaurant that feeds me dog food. I thought putting myself in the comic would help, and it really did. It was much easier to put on the character's boots because I already had them on. 

Comments

Popular Posts