Poster Project 2
New poster work. I wanted to do something that isn't my own work. The last poster I posted was about Blender, so I tried to follow that path. STORY TIME: There's a really big group of people who use an old 3D software called SFM. It's buggy, gets no more updates, and is all around something that isn't kind to its user base. It's built on the source engine and has access to a variety of game assets that enable creating 3D animations without creating models or locations.
A user by the name of Hisanimation was tired of being tied down to this software, so he tried for the past 7 years to build a bridge that helps people from SFM transfer over to Blender. (He's just 21 years old) He started by porting one game at a time, but recently, he released a large pack that combines all the big games together. Here is the poster I made for it.
Heavily based on a shot in the video announcement at 0:09. The first issue is that the video is 1920px by 1080px. I want a poster that's 18in by 24in with 300 dpi (5400px by 7200px). Therefore, we need to make each element at least 5 times bigger to avoid blurring.
Here is the best-quality shot I could find.(still 1080p but with no YouTube compression)
I find fonts to be a struggle, but I'm like 80% sure that it's Poppins by Google. The only reason I'm confident is that I tried lining up the font with the screenshot from the video and achieved a close match with minimal edits. The logos for the games were easy to find since SVG files for each game are available on the web. (and they don't have any edits) For the custom blender logo, I simply requested the blend file and received it. It's mostly made with geometry, so I had to increase the subdivision and render it out at 5 times the scale. The background is a compilation of screenshots from the video. His animation also sent me an early version of his Photoshop file so I could fix some of the roto and re-add the painted shadows. Since the images were gonna be at their full resolution, I fixed some blemishes on the face and removed the green grass reflection on the hand. (I think for the video, he may have hosted the contrast on the hand?) And I thought it would be cute to recolor his tie to match the colors of the blender logo.
Here are my "mental notes." It's difficult to put into words what goes through my mind as I rearrange things. I don't like rotating images unless I'm downsizing them. So I tried tying the pose of Hisanimation with the layout. The QR code was added last as I realized I didn't have a way for the viewer to find what this is promoting. (Ik it's a sin) Originally, it was going to be really small in the corner, but my friend hit me with a big 'clown on clown' mind sync. To match the QR size with the first two text rows.
Green is what I think the main motions of the eye would be. Red are notes to myself. Blue is the comp grid.
Recreating things is my specialty, but after finishing this, I wish I had changed up the style. Overall, I'm very happy with the outcome.


Comments
Post a Comment