Kinetic Typography Project (JVB - PACKAPUNCH)

So we had to make a kinetic typography. I had never heard of it, and when I looked it up, the results were somewhat mixed. Some use images, while others don't. Some had simple animations, while others had a complex web of movement.

Ignoring all of that. I've got 3 days to do this, so I've got to put something down. I couldn't think of dialogue that stuck with me, so I was struggling to find something to animate to. Then I listen to my playlist to see if anything catches my attention. I tried to avoid songs with vulgar language. Realize that a lot of the music I listen to lacks lyrics or is in a different language. Luckily, I found one that seems good to do this project on.

JVB - PACKAPUNCH


I started laying out the blocks of how I wanted my eyes to move. I've been following the mindset of "make it exist first and make it look good after".  So we get the text and timing down, and THEN we make it look pretty. Using different but similar fonts for the two singers. And if I had the time, I would add a more complex effect to a section. I had a VHS effect for the start to match the low-fi audio and make the PUNCH stand out more. When listening to the music, I got an older gamer feel, so I tried to bring game elements, but didn't overdo it since my time was limited. I messed with particles in a few shot like the money explosion and the piss your trouser bit. The car was a 3D model that I applied a wireframe look to and animated in Blender. The fire was a turbulent displacement on top of a gradient. I had another displacement on top to distort the text. Using a tri-tone to blend toad into the fire. (keeping in mind I wanted a deep red for the bowser bit)

This project made me hate the graph editor in AE. And if I were to do something like this again, I would do all the motion-based stuff in Blender. Before I get smacked for this. I'm used to having different graphs per axis. A ball bounce in AE is much harder than it needs to be because I can't disable a key frame on the x-axis. Sometimes I just want to edit the final x position without affecting the y bounce. The best workaround I found is using two transforms per axis, but this is cumbersome and adds a lot of junk to my timeline. As for effect, I  would use DaVinci Resolve for compositing, as I didn't like having too many layers or not having enough control in AE. In all, it was fun, but the lack of audio scrubbing in AE (or the poor playback) just kept slowing me down. (also not a big fan of Adobe)

Comments

Popular Posts