Creative Challenge 11
New week, same train as last time. So I will be tackling "How do I get ink off my desk again" from Caffeine for the Creative Mind. Drawing a thing without looking at the paper. It should be quick and easy.
I just picked my left hand and went off. I'm not sure what this exercise was supposed to do, so I may be overthinking it. I may have to reread the book when I get to class to get a bigger picture.
In all, I like how I drew my hand wrinkle like a smooth N. It looks goofy as a whole, and I wanted to flip the image and call it an elephant.Hey yall, future me here. (08JUL2025)
So my teacher has left me a big old chunk of wisdom, and I didn't want it to fade to the abyss.
"There is actually a lot you can learn from this. I first saw this in the classic book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. When you stop directing your hand and critiquing as you go along, the right side of the brain can take control and connect with your drawing hand. I often enter this R-mode when working in Photoshop and, to a lesser degree, in Illustrator, when I cannot tell you what I'm doing until after I've done it. Spend enough hours doing anything, and your muscle memory and the non-verbal side of your brain take over. This will let you focus more on the design and less on the process."
When I read this, it kinda clicked in my head that. If I were looking at the drawing as I made it. I wouldn't have done the smooth N line that I like so much. It came from not overthinking and just doing "the thing".
I always find myself trying to make something visually pleasing and not liking these exercises, but the more I do them, the more times I find bits and pieces that just "work" for me, and I can't describe it.

Comments
Post a Comment