Creative Challenge 9

Hello everyone! I'm trying to stay on top of my weekly challenges, even if I don't like sharing the results. This week, I wanted to spice up my blog page by changing the background. Prior to this post, I was using the "neon background"; it seemed fitting at the time, but as I worked on more projects, it bugged me that something else was the main focus when people visit my page. So, limiting myself to only Photoshop, I will attempt to create a new background.


Initially, I considered creating an abstract collage of my previous images. I started with the pie I made from Void + Vinegar, and my multiple shots of me in a wizard outfit. I didn't know how to fit these two elements together, let alone the other one I would add later.

This turned into a complete bust, and we returned to the drawing board.

My next thought was to draw vague strokes on top to make it all blend together better, but it just looked like I had used a Gaussian blur. This also made me realize that I need to make/get custom brushes. I tried fixing it by switching the layer mode to dissolve and applying posterization. However, I still didn't like what this was going.


I started experimenting with random images and ended up combining them with random wood pictures. I don't have an image subscription, so all these were low-res images yanked from Google. I could say it's part of my "style," but this would be a lie.

After taking a break and talking to my friend, I thought of faking a depth pass so I could mess around with effects. I used the lasso tool to create the trees, and I made the floor using a simple gradient.

I create grass by sampling five colors and painting dots. I warp it to follow perspective. I use the mask from the depth pass to color each tree a different brownish hue. Then, I painted a dark path and pools of water using multiply and screen layers. I utilize the depth pass to add ghostly fog. I love the vibe, but I didn't use it because it was too bright. Now I was torn about shifting gears for the fifth time, but I had no choice; it was either that or scrap the project.
This is the final result I achieved. I swapped the fog for a black one. Adding blue noise to the trees to fake the bark. Using blending options to get a quick 3D effect on the trees. Also added some subtle shadows around and behind the trees.

I then realized I forgot to add leaves, but I think it makes the image come together better.
Overall, I'm happy that I was able to do all of this in a day, but WOW is making the background hard.

But yeah, let me know what y'all think and what I should do next time.

Comments

Popular Posts