Learning InDesign- Week 2

This is a new week, and I have more tutorials. I first encountered an issue with a master file where I was missing some fonts. So, I looked up a tutorial to fix that. But all it taught me was how to replace it with default fonts or use Adobe fonts. I thought there would be more, but I searched for the missing font and found it myself. This tutorial was absolutely useless unless you never touched a computer.

Anyway, I wanted my "pull quotes" to stand out, but I wasn't sure what to do with the text. So, I decided to try "Create an attractive sidebar in no time at all." The numerous options seem great until I realize how quickly they fall apart if I move just one element. Effects work well if you stick to a box, but features like drop shadows seem to malfunction if you bevel edges. I wouldn't use this many effects; I just kept experimenting to see what breaks. I learned that I must avoid these like the plague. (Transparency doesn't affect drop shadows, and text offset doesn't apply to drop shadows [don’t feed past 9; shadows have a mind of their own]).

Looking up stuff I'm trying to fix or use made me want to avoid using this software. But this felt like a bad note to stop on, so I did "The Articles panel." It's quite hard to display what this teaches, but it shows how to use the article panel and set an order. So, exporting it to the web will display the correct order of things to read. By far the best tutorial, but I'm unsure if it will be useful for the project we are working on in class.

Comments

Popular Posts