Hello everyone! This weekend, I wanted to learn how to make a more unique-looking typeface with effect. Join me in trying to understand some tutorials I watched on metal effects in Photoshop.
The
first tutorial consists of just one layer, mainly made with blending effects. Bevel and gradient overlay appear to be the primary bread and butter of these effects, but this one is the simplest. Unfortunately, it fails if you don't match the dimensions shown in the tutorial, and I believe the bevel functioned differently in the past because my version turned out significantly brighter. I can see myself using this as a background element.
Number two. This one is actually fire and my all-time favorite. It reminds me of the Super Mario Bros. movie (1993). The curves adjustment adds the banding amount, and the gradient determines the angle. It is very easy to customize the colors with a Two-Tone color map. I changed the adjustment layers to clip so the effect doesn't affect the background.
This is the
last tutorial, and it has an entirely different look. It looks more like glass and uses smart layers to add some bloom. The whole effect is just a bevel with a custom curve. Everything on top just adds flair. The blurred stars to add a shine don't need to be made, but they were a nice addition. I can easily apply what I learned on this one to the prior one to make it punch out more.
I tried to study
this one. There was no guide, so I had to scooby doo this. It's just a lot of smart layers that stack a lot of effects. Mostly bevel and color overlays. This was cool, but there was a noticeable lag on my computer. If we start getting to the point where we fake HDRI, we might as well make this in 3D.
Overall, this study was fun and made me appreciate smart layers and bevels. I will definitely be adding this to my arsenal.
Comments
Post a Comment